Random Panel: Starting the new year off right

master-comics-51-1944-beartrap

(From "Master Comics" number 51, 1944.)

15 Responses to Random Panel: Starting the new year off right

1. Avatar Gero says:

Judging from the masks, the way Bulletgirl’s hair is moving, and the bubbles coming from Bulletman, I’d say they’re underwater. Which raises the very good question of why the hell there would be a bear trap on the ocean floor…

You are correct, Gero, they are indeed underwater. I have read the comic in question and despite an English degree, have no clue why there are bear traps underwater. And while I do NOT have a degree in Physics, I also cannot understand why she would have floated head-first upward into the bear trap trigger, allowing it to close on her cone head.

I love this comic almost too much for words to express. It’s the gift that just keeps on giving.

3. Avatar Connor S. says:

I must say, what… the… hell. First of all what is a bear trap underwater? (agreeing with you guys) And second of all, what is it doing, while set, floating upside down? Just pointing those out because that is JACKED UP.

4. Avatar Hakoon1 says:

Sea-Bears. That’s what it is. You guys never seen Spongebob? 😀

5. Avatar Hakoon1 says:

Also, I dunno about you guys in the US, but over here the word helmet, and something being clamped to it can mean a whole lot else :D:D:D

6. Avatar Xstacy says:

Well this time, at least, you can’t blame her for being taken off-guard. Who could’ve seen this coming?

7. Avatar Brad says:

Hooray for Bullettwothousandten! 😀

8. Avatar The Imp says:

Is it just me, or does Bulletman look like a porpoise in profile there?

9. Avatar Bael says:

Heh. No harm done. You have to get something more vital than the head to stop Bulletgirl.

10. Avatar remy says:

They don’t look all that surprised/worried.

11. Avatar John says:

That panel, on this day, is the textbook definition of awesomenicity.

12. Avatar NGpm says:

The sheer logistics of underwater floating bear traps … it makes the heart sing. It’s like frickin’ sharks with frickin’ lazer beams on their heads. Is that so much to ask for?

13. Avatar Gero says:

@John: Congratulations on inventing the first new word of 2010!

14. Avatar Frankie says:

Trees in the background and a beartrap underwater. Sounds like Rob Liefeldism to me. So, Rob wasn’t the first to be afflicted with this sickness, he is just the most popular and since the disease wasn’t yet named, it became named after him.

On a side note, the word popular refers to Robby being well known, not well liked.

15. Avatar Gero says:

I think Liefeld is one of those “any publicity is good publicity” people…