The Soupster’s Kitchen

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery The Soupster’s Kitchen

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)
  • Author

TheSoupster
    Participant

Hey Folks!

I’m what you might call new around these parts, although I have been hanging around as a guest for a fair while. Anyway, I decided to take the plunge, mostly to show you some of the characters I’ve been creating for a story that’s knocking about in my head. It helps to have a visual reference! Essentially it’s a super hero story, so most of the characters will have powers. I’ll try not to divulge too much information, but critique on both the artwork and the character ideas would be great!

So… First things first. One of the main characters, Jenny. 19 year old student, completely transparent skin. Quite a shock when she started turning! Thankfully, her power is pigment manipulation, allowing her to change her skin colour with remarkably precise resolution. Brings new meaning to the words ‘temporary tattoo’! This is her in her default state. What do you think?

Jenny-Derbyshire-Small.png

Harlekin

Welcome to the forum. Nice start.

Very good idea.

Scatman

very cool man!keep em ‘ comin’ and welcome!

Hammerknight
    Participant

Cool character, welcome to the forums. Have a great stay.

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

Possibly one of the grosest powers I’ve seen, but with really cool possibilities, she could turn her skin into a rainbow, or glow in the dark, or even have a colour for every emotion.

Love it

Vampyrist
    Participant

Cool character and welcome to the forums! That is probably the best muscle character I’ve seen on here, so you’re off to a great start.

ams
    Participant

Welcome to the forums, dude!

TheSoupster
    Participant

@Alexander of Limbo said:

Possibly one of the grosest powers I’ve seen, but with really cool possibilities, she could turn her skin into a rainbow, or glow in the dark, or even have a colour for every emotion.

Yeah, that’s exactly what I was thinking. As well as being an expert at disguising herself, she could use tattoos as a way of silently communicating with people, hypnotise people (yes, really, check out this video of the cuttlefish), and, obviously, have the shock factor described above. If that wouldn’t stop someone in their tracks, I don’t know what would.

Thanks for all the encouragement, folks, I really appreciate it. I’ll maybe post a couple more tonight. They won’t be quite as inventive as this one, but it’ll introduce you to some of the characters!

Herr D
    Participant

Does she make money under the table ‘modeling’ for pre-med students? Muscle palpation and ligament placement memorization!

TheSoupster
    Participant

Haha! Well, she was originally in her first year at uni doing English Lit, but when this happened, and she learned to control it, she did transfer to anatomy! It’s funny. I’ve got all this background worked out, and the outlines of a plot, but can never find the motivation to write anything. Come on Jonathan!

TheSoupster
    Participant

Right, next character. His name is Benedict Smith, or Ben, and he has the ability to basically set himself on fire without being burned. I’ve got a whole mechanism of how it could work scientifically, but for now, I’ll just add in the picture. First time I’ve tried editing the pose by masking clothing in half, like for the 3/4 view, and I’m quite happy with it. Also first attempt at zyping (is that what it’s called?). Was looking through AMS’s thread, and it was a massive inspiration! You, my friend, are skilled. :)

Benedict-Smith.png

Also, HeroMachine keeps moving my picture over to the right whenever I export it, so it’s half off screen. Any idea why that is?

The Atomic Punk
    Participant

Yes, highlighting in HeroMachine is called “zypping” after the master. Check out his works and other inspiration in The HeroMachine Hall of Fame!

As for the picture “jumping” to the right. Yes, it happens sometimes when exporting. It’s a reported bug.

Otherwise, belated willkommen and great start!

Weilyn

Ben looks awesome! Great job on the semi-profile clothing, and the fire, which is something I always struggle to get to look right.

TheSoupster
    Participant

Thanks folks. I’m not very happy with the zypping on the mask, looks weird. Still, I can change that later. I’ll do one without the mask next. Shows some of his backstory…

Harlekin

Not bad not bad. The semi profile cloth is nice very nice.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 90 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.