Masking Tutorial

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery How Do I … ? Masking Tutorial

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author

khaalis
    Participant

Hey all. New to HM3 and I’ve been trying to find info on Masking. The only real tutorial-like info I’ve found is to select the object you want inside another, select mask, then the item it goes in. I’ve got that part. Is there a way to link the 2? Or does the ‘containing’ object always float around over the other item (thus having to move both)?

Also, is there an existing tutorial that goes into more details on how to link objects to insignia squares for altering them? I’ve seen the technique mentioned when discussing altering clothing for non-standard poses, but I can’t find the details on how its actually done.

Thanks for any input or insight.

Weilyn

I’m working on something. Hang on a sec Smile

Weilyn

Allright, done!
    I’m putting it in spoilers, because there are a whole bunch of pictures.

Masking allows you to force one item not to go outside the boundries of another item.
    Here’s an example:

1.PNG

In example A there is no masking, but in example B the glove has been masked to the arm. Note also how the outlines of the arm shows through the masked glove. This is another effect of masking.
    The objects don’t lock together, though. If you were to move the glove in example A away from the arm it would disappear from sight.

There are a few different methods to clothing turned bodies. You can mask the clothes onto the Body items, or you can simply colour the items so that they look like skin tight clothing. Here’s one method that I personally like to use, which is a tad more complicated.

Let’s say we want to put a jacket on this half profile torso. Start by adding two jackets of the same kind.

2.PNG

Now widen one of the jackets by about 20% and narrow the other one by the same amount. (The amount varies depending on the chosen article of clothing, but 20% is what I used for this example.)

3.PNG

Place the wider jacket over the left side of the torso until the left side of the jacket fits. You may have to rotate it slightly. You may also want to make the jacket transparent to make it easier to see what you’re doing.

4.PNG

Choose a square insignia from either the Insignia-Standard or the Insignia-Tech section. Enlarge it until it covers the left side of the jacket.

5.PNG

Select the jacket, click “Mask” and then click the square.

6.PNG

Repeat the process with the other jacket for the right side of the torso.

7.PNG

Layer the insignias behind the torso and the jackets, and there you go!

8.PNG

Let’s say we want to give the guy a shirt, too. Choose one that you like.

9.PNG

Place it on the torso, layered under the jackets.

10.PNG

Now let’s get rid of those sleeves and bits that stick out to the sides. Get a third square insignia, and place it over the parts of the shirt you want to be visible.

11.PNG

Mask the shirt onto the square, and layer the square to the back.

12.PNG

Here I repeated what I did with the jackets with two hats. Make one wider and one more narrow, mask them to two different squares.

15.PNG

An item can only have one single item masked to it, but a masked item can have another item masked to itself. The shirt was masked to a square, but there is no problem masking an insignia to the shirt.

16.PNG

Let’s say you do want to mask several items to one single object. Well, there is a way to kind of cheat your way to that. In the below example I’ve added an arm to the guy, and masked an insignia of a bird to it, as a tattoo. To add another tattoo to the same arm I added another arm (a transparent blue one), and placed it on top of the first one.

17.PNG

Then I masked a cross insignia to the second arm…

18.PNG

… and placed the blue arm behind the first one.

19.PNG

I also added a background here, to cover the insignias used for masking. You can also make the insignias completely transparent, but I would advice you to wait until the design is finished before you do that, since it’s always good to know where they are, if you need to change something.
    The colours used for the insignias in this tutorial were mainly for illustratory purposes, but using different colours can really help you make out which is which if you’re using a lot of them at the same time.

Hope this helped Smile

Here are two tutorials made by Jeff Hebert for masking items into hands and masking patterns, neither of which I talked about in the above tutorial, but are good things to know nonetheless.

Hammerknight
    Participant

@khaalis said:

Hey all. New to HM3 and I’ve been trying to find info on Masking. The only real tutorial-like info I’ve found is to select the object you want inside another, select mask, then the item it goes in. I’ve got that part. Is there a way to link the 2? Or does the ‘containing’ object always float around over the other item (thus having to move both)?

Also, is there an existing tutorial that goes into more details on how to link objects to insignia squares for altering them? I’ve seen the technique mentioned when discussing altering clothing for non-standard poses, but I can’t find the details on how its actually done.

Thanks for any input or insight.

You have to move both items.

Hammerknight
    Participant

@Weilyn thanks for the how-tos.

Mr.jack

thanks is served berry much to my thx thx thx
    haha
    bye bye

Weilyn

No problem Wink

Magnus Maximus
    Participant

Hey folks, I was wondering, I’ve seen the amazing AMS do this thing where he masks two footwear or legwear pieces together to make a 3/4 turn design. Can any of y’all show me how to do that?

Weilyn

Hm… Can you link to an example?

Magnus Maximus
    Participant

I’m not a genius with the magic of screenshots and all that, so I’ll just link to the whole picture:

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/ams/THE-REAPER-2012.png

What I’m looking at is something like the character’s right boot. Not those particular items, but just how to do that.

Kaldath
    Keymaster

@Magnus Maximus said:

I’m not a genius with the magic of screenshots and all that, so I’ll just link to the whole picture:

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/ams/THE-REAPER-2012.png

What I’m looking at is something like the character’s right boot. Not those particular items, but just how to do that.

Take a look at Foot Right, Male standard, the last page of items, top row, the first three items

Magnus Maximus
    Participant

Thanks Kaldath, but I was talking about the shin guard ABOVE the right foot. How does one make those two items look like one? Is there a tutorial for that?

Kaldath
    Keymaster

ahh in that case try this :

Leg-guard.PNG

I didn’t make mine as “neat” as AMS’s but the general idea is there. I matched up the items line colors to the insignia I used to mask it to and I am including the text file.

HeroMachine 3 Character
    Sat May 25 20:57:17 GMT-0400 2013

0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff
    0xffffff

BodyMaleStandard5
    1 188.5
    Body
    MaleStandard 5 1 1 1 34

FootRightMaleStandard78
    2 133.95
    FootRight
    MaleStandard 78 1 1 1 35

InsigniaStandard2
    2.25 168.95
    Insignia
    Standard 2 1 1 1 31

FootRightMaleStandard78
    4 129.95
    FootRight
    MaleStandard 78 1 1 1 36

InsigniaStandard2
    2.25 101.95
    Insignia
    Standard 2 1 1 1 32

FootRightMaleStandard87
    0.978 139.95
    FootRight
    MaleStandard 87 1 1 1 33

Magnus Maximus
    Participant

Sweet! It must be simpler than it looks, I guess.

Kaldath
    Keymaster

AMS is much neater looking and if I had to guess I would said he mask at least 4 items to get the look. I could be wrong but it is the only way I can think of to get it to look like he did without the straps meeting in the middle like mine, and to only be on the sides like in his.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.