Jadebrain’s Creations

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery Jadebrain’s Creations

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)
  • Author

Jadebrain
    Participant

@Hammerknight said:

Would this be any closer. She is a Manimal (Man+Animal) from one of my worlds.

http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/hammerknight/2012/08/Manimal-Fox-steampunk.png

Eh, it’s definitely closer, but not exact, given the plantigrade legs and such…

I don’t mean to be rude, or to make it seem like I don’t appreciate your effort (I appreciate any honest effort at helping me), but I’ve kind of decided to search again on the internet for inspiration for the clothing of this character. As of right now, I think I’ve got the lower body clothing done in a way that I like (granted, it’s quite different from the initial design – the only thing I kept was the longer dress on the side and back), and I’ve seen some decent ideas for the upper body clothing. The difference between the search I did more recently and the search I did when I was first trying to come up with ideas was that I searched specifically on furry art sites for inspiration in the more recent search, whereas before I was using a general search engine.

Once again, I really do appreciate the help you’ve given, though now that the character’s design seems to be going in a different direction than first planned (and one which HM3 won’t be able to do very well), I probably won’t be able to give an actual visual update on the picture until it’s done. If you think you’d still be able to help me without a visual aid as to where I’m going, that’s great, but if you can’t, that’s fine too.

Hammerknight
    Participant

Check out some of the “Furry” sites, and some of the Micro Hero sites. Both have some great artwork.

Jadebrain
    Participant

I finally managed to decide on the character’s clothing and finish a drawing of her. How does it look?

Kaylin88100
    Participant

Pretty good!Cool I like the way you’ve done the skirt and the legs, it looks really realistic.

Hammerknight
    Participant

Cool.

FRM

what he said^ ;)

Jadebrain
    Participant

Another request for help from the community; this time, I’m trying to design not a character, but a race. I already have the race statted out and flavored – they’re an insectoid race characterized by incredible toughness and good reflexes (and that’s REFLEXES, not quickness or agility in general), with not a lot of intelligence or charm. I’ve been trying to draw pictures of the race for a while now, but every picture I draw just comes out… wrong. I’m trying to draw them to be similar to humanoid beetles, but I just can’t get the proportions or anything like that the way I want it; either the race is too thin and doesn’t send the message of a tough race, or they’re so wide it looks ridiculous. I’m especially having trouble designing the torso, both in respect to the torso itself and to the way the torso interacts with the limbs and such. While I don’t have any pictures to upload (I currently have one picture which I haven’t thrown away, and no access to a scanner to upload it with), I would like to mention that I have decided that the race will have segmented eyes, mandible-pincers, antennae, a beetle horn and a proboscis on its face, and it will have vestigial wings which won’t be powerful enough to fly with, but can be used to mimic speech by buzzing, so that the bug people can actually speak despite having a proboscis-type mouth. Also, its arms will be tipped with lobster-like claws, under which would be weak, under-developed hands for finer manipulation.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Herr D
    Participant

One of the interesting things about beetle carapaces is that they don’t look tough–but you can step on some of them without damaging them. Several exobiologists (tho they weren’t called that back then) went on record as saying human-sized exoskeletons would never work. Two obvious objections are that materials engineering has made progress since then and that unknown chemical and gravitational conditions might MAKE such things possible.

To make it look obvious without a context like a broken axe in the picture, I would have to suggest texturing it. Patterns of fissures and ‘chipped’ areas might make it look tough the way heavy scars make human fighters look like they have stamina. If you’re trying to appeal to an audience who loves contrasts and surprise, make that proboscis look exceptionally weak and thin–they grind their food just getting it to the mouth, right? They would claw a giant tortoise once and slurp up the turtle soup from the resulting puddle. Good luck.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Sorry for the lack of new pictures lately. I’ve been busy with work, classes, and the like. Anyway, here’s Brigrada, Queen of the nation of Gondrogar. I don’t have much of a backstory for her, and even if I did, I’m in a hurry, but basically, she’s unmatched in strength and combat skill in all the known world. It was for this picture that I requested help with drawing women who are muscular and yet still identifiably female, and so I wanted to make sure the picture as it is (proportions, contours, etc.) was okay before I shaded it.

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s an anatomical outline for a drawing I’m working on. While I’ve started to draw the clothing and armor already, I’m not too far into it to be able to start over if any suggestions can be made to improve the anatomical outline. I already know that the left (our right) horn needs to be repositioned in order to make sense at that angle… Any other ideas for improvement? And yes, the “abs” are supposed to look like that.

Jadebrain
    Participant

I’m doing a new drawing of Sharal, one of the characters I’ve already uploaded. I’m pretty much going to re-do the costume. So far, I’ve got the anatomical outline done. In case you’re wondering, I’m going to put a sword-type weapon in her right hand, and a spell effect in her left. One of the things I had trouble with was her right leg – it was hard, given the angle and position which pretty much concealed an entire section of her leg. I also just noticed that I forgot her tail – that shouldn’t be too hard to fix. Any thoughts?

Anarchangel
    Participant

Looking good so far. :)

prswirve
    Participant

nice pencils!

Jadebrain
    Participant

Here’s the almost-finished picture of the second outline of Sharal. You’ll notice from the eraser marks that I’m having trouble deciding what to put on her arms for clothing. Also, I’m not quite satisfied with the leggings. Any suggestions are welcome. I’ll draw in her tail on this outline after I get those two things figured out.

In case you’re wondering, her skimpy clothing is a racial-cultural thing; the Poruqe (the race she belongs to) are often highly interested in majesty and beauty, and tend to wear either less clothing to emphasize their natural beauty or more extravagant clothing adorned with lots of accessories. Sharal is of the former type, of course. As a battlemage, she also makes up for the lack of protectiveness of her clothing with magic.

Herr D
    Participant

As to those arms, from your description of the culture? I would say small, magical amulets tied on with leather thongs.
    Your pic with the horns? I think you’ve done fine with everything, but I want to know about the horns! Did they originate from cultures that lock horns or just hammer? That might say something interesting about the way they developed culturally.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 46 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.