Community Effort Idea

Home Forums The Pub Community Effort Idea

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 215 total)
  • Author

Iscarioto
    Participant

I think an amalgam of the original story and JR’s suggestion would work great actually, I like the idea ‘The Organisation’ a precursor to Ascension which was eventually assimilated under the one umbrella, and how the initiative she was once a part of shifted and contorted under new rule.

I think she would have to be working independently of all those organisations she’d been a part of, in Hong Kong investigating Ascension of her own accord. They are really a secret society that have just put themselves out in the open in a really particular way. Perhaps throughout her career path she’d noticed strange hints towards this growing entity, and discovered evidence of cybernetic testing and war-crimes within each of the agencies. Find’s clues in her CIA role which tarnish her view of them and as she digs deeper she finds Ascension have their hands in everything, so she breaks away and tries to expose them herself.

One note though, how old is she? Don’t want to be offensive but I’m not feeling the realism, she’d have to be in her 50s to have etched out enough of a career to be Special Forces, Detective, SS, CIA and FBI. If that’s even possible. Maybe narrow it down to maintain a sense of realism. Perhaps she was drafted in the Gulf War or Afghanistan, impressed her superiors and advanced quickly, then was picked up for a position in the CIA, which saw her posted in Japan where she learnt Kendo. Once again, she’d be too young to have mastered that many styles of martial art, but she could be studying Shao Lin Kung Fu, perhaps that could be part of the story: she gets recruited out of the CIA into a position with ‘The Organisation’ but not really cleared for much intel, but of her own accord discovers that her work is being used to further a super-soldier program, which doesn’t gel with her moral fibre. She see’s the testing they have been doing on Rwandan prisoners or something, gets pretty cynical and up and leaves, or gets pushed out as she’s been asking too many hard questions, so she moves the Zhengzhou, and studies at the Shao Lin temple to clear her mind. Several months later she overhears monks talking about the invasion in Hong Kong, and it sounds all too familiar so she packs up and heads south.

How would you feel about something along those lines?

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

JR, I like your ideas for explaining Miss X not being in the mix from the beginning. Iscarioto, no offense taken at all. In fact I have been thinking about how old she would be. The old regenerative formula treatment would help explain some, but that’s counter to her refusing enhancement in her origin story. I picture Miss X as a very athletic, energetic and youthful late 40’s to mid 50’s. Having studied martial arts myself for about 20 years, I’ve seen my share of asskicking older people. You pretty much play her out as I see her in my mind, so I may adapt most of your ideas to flesh her out. Regading us all hooking up on Face book to share info, I’m cool with that.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Also Iscarioto, as an after thought, the seeming agelessness of Miss X is another part of her mystique, if you will. Most men already underestimate the physical strength of women, and I see Miss X as a tall, well built woman without being overly muscular, unlike most of the females I make. That’s part of what makes her so lethal; no one knows jack about her, but rumors abound. Enemies think she must be old as hell to be so experienced. Enemies see her and think, “This bitch thinks she’s bad; this won’t take long,” and by then the fight is over and lost. She’s like a female Batman type; peak physical and mental training, above and beyond optimum human conditioning, but it’s her drive, determination and above excellent tactical skills as much as her physical abilities that make her so dangerous. Think Amanda Waller mixed with the Huntress.PANEL-MISS-X-1.png

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Just thought, a lot of what Ascension is about has some strong similarities with Fear and Loathing. Not to the point of worrying about copyrights. Just thinking that if you guys are not familiar with them, the Marshal Law stories might provide some good inspiration. http://www.comicsreview.co.uk/nowreadthis/2009/03/31/marshal-law-fear-and-loathing/

prswirve
    Participant

I’d like to float an idea of a sub plot where one of the guys may be taken prisoner by Ascension and the others on a rescue mission so as to provide an image of a scene set on Ascension prison camps. That could be a great setting so we’ll know what’s happening to those surviving people taken captive by Ascension, and the fate that may befall them.

Also, i think it would be great if we have also a separate scenario of survivors not taken captive who took shelter in refugee camps somewhere.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Potentially as well one of us could pen a prisoner who would escape and join the team, I’d be willing.

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Just an idea or more accurately, some practice. Putting this here more for the opinion of you guys on the art itself. Maybe it could be used in the story when the art phase is underway. You guys do great work and I respect your opinions and advice. No real title for this. Maybe, Miss X Returns To Hong Kong? BTW, what do you think of the Ascension poster?http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/wndbassplayer/2013/03/ASCENSION.png

prswirve
    Participant

Miss X is bad ass! You better pen her story already WMD :)

Iscarioto
    Participant

So I’m off to Aussie for a fortnight, yay, will probably be able to check the forum from my phone every now and then but basically inactive.

Not that I would want to say I’m in charge anyway, but if anyone wants to run anything by anyone then JR is your man, I designate him as official runnerbyer or whatever.

Cheers champs,

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

Damn, I wish I was on this from day one! There is a s***load of info to keep track of. Regarding the ships, (and again, sorry if it was already covered), I like Iscarioto’s ship and the idea of the “steel sky.” His design looks more like multiples could fit together to form that canopy. JR’s ship looks more mothership to me. A humongous thing that in a movie would take 5 minutes to move across the screen, lol! That’s an exaggeration of course, but think of the star destroyer’s first appearance in Star Wars. That’s how I see JR’s ship. You see a few of Isacrioto’s ships and you think, “Damn, we’re screwed!” THEN you see JR’s mothership blocking out half the sky!

WMDBASSPLAYER
    Participant

OK, here we go. Here’s a rough draft of how Miss X ends up in Hong Kong. “God, I hate Hong Kong,” Miss X thought to herself. “Like 100 people jammed into a small-ass Lower East Side studio apartment, hopped up on cheap booze and cheap designer drugs and calling it a party. But I still love the mainland.” Unfortunately, she had no time to dwell on her love for China, not while going over the files her CIA friend copied for, (forwarded to?) her. “Cyborgs, invasion fleets, mass murder, spontaneous transformations and outbreaks of meta-human abilities? What the fuck is going on here?” “I wonder if this Ascension has anything to do with the weirdness the Organisation was up to before I quit? They were really pushing those enhancements on me hard; maybe they wanted me to be a guinea pig? ” It was at this time that the young Shaolin monk accompanying her informed Miss X that they were approximately 10 kilometers from the boarder of Yau Tsim. She was advised it may be easier to slip into Wan Chai from here than by way of Kowloon, as reports of increased Ascension activity there were being intercepted. “You carry that big samurai sword and lethal firearms, but you will always be Shaolin to us, Sister.” “Thank you, Brother Quan. I owe the monks a great debt.” my brain is tired right now. busy researching the geography of HK to make Miss X’s covert trip more believable. Any feedback on this little bit will be greatly appreciated. I know it’s not much, but I was doing a lot of reading to catch up. You guys have done a helluva job so far!

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

Just a uploading a character i recently wrote into Ascension… Is anyone still out there though?

Dr. Emily Read
    http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-image-uploads/alexanderthemaybenotsogreat/2013/04/Emily-Read-Ascension.png

JR19759
    Keymaster

Nice. I’m in the process of writing my next chapter. I was hoping that putting up something might move stuff forward a little, but obviously whilst Iscarioto is away I was expecting a slight lull.

Alexander of Limbo
    Participant

if you’ve got anything with the Conduit please PM me (he’s my baby) otherwise i’m happy to help in any way. The story has gone a little dead since Iscarioto has left. I’d like to give him something interesting to come back to, so maybe a collaboration is in order. I was hoping the Conduit could hit the father and daughter team as i have plans to tie them into his story in a significant way http://www.heromachine.com/wp-content/legacy/forum-smileys/sf-smile.gif

prswirve
    Participant

glad u guys are back. the DR looks cool!

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 215 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.