CantDraw Gallery of Bad Art

Home Forums The HeroMachine Art Gallery CantDraw Gallery of Bad Art

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 660 total)
  • Author

Hammerknight
    Participant

Nice job.Smile

CantDraw
    Participant

For the States Contest:

CantDraw-LoneStar-Texas.png

Lone Star, Defender of Texas

No fancy poses this time. After watching Thor last night and seeing the big metal dude, I was inspired to try a metal hero with a similar glowing effect. Admittedly, this probably isn’t one if my best submissions, but I think it still looks pretty cool.

Torog
    Participant

Great job CD.

Vampyrist
    Participant

Cool, and I like the belt effect, I may “borrow” that. For extra shading, you could shade the little separations in the gauntlet.

tinker
    Participant

First time I pop in. Saw you name, “Can’t Draw”, and the name of the topic-“Gallery of Bad Art” and I couldn’t decide if that was a joke. Well apparently it was. Your works are absolutely fantastic. You manage to use the HM assets in ways I didn’t think about and your perception of posing and lighting is most impressive.
    I mean, I draw for real (Not just using HM!), and there are some stuff it would be difficult for me to draw even by hand!
    And your zypping is amongst the best I saw.
    Perhaps one day I will draw one of your characters and send it to you, as a gesture (Off course, with your permission. These are your characters after all!).

CantDraw
    Participant

Embarassed Scratch what I said on the Sumina-verse thread ’cause I’m definitely feeling the love – and not just here but the blog, as well.

Vampyrist – I wish I had thought of that, oh well. Like Harlekin, I don’t like to go back and fix something once I’ve posted. Funny enough, I usually have at least one thing I intend to do to a picture but forget before I post it.

Tinker – Thank you, you are very kind. I’ve learned a lot about posing and lighting from so many on HM. Normally, I use an image of a pose from the internet to help me. Dark Queen above is a perfect example. I found both that pose and similar looking dress while googling. Also, I find the old fantasy art by Boris Vallejo and other contemporaries, have some of the best shading/highlighting, so I use those as a guide sometimes. Of course, I have about as many failures as successes because I experiment a lot. For example, I planned on entering the Gods contest using Urizen from William Blake’s mythology, but I couldn’t get the sitting pose right, so I created another Sumina-verse character instead (Pisha) using a different sitting pose that did work.

BTW, feel free to draw any character I post, and I’m always willing to share techniques with any who ask. I’d do it more freely, but I don’t like to presume anyone’s interested.

tinker
    Participant

Sweet. I was thinking of goin on either Nimu or Penguin Paladin, but I’ll probably go for Nimu.
    Just cuz of the sexyness. ;)

Jackal

Lone Star is fantastic! Making a patriotic American-themed costume look new and original is pretty difficult, but you’ve done a sterling job of it, and bonus points for making a Texas-based superhero that isn’t a hideously stereotyped cowboy!

Calvary_Red
    Participant

You, sir, are a genius.

CantDraw
    Participant

Thank y’all again. Tinker, go right ahead and I’m happy that someone actually took notice of Penguin Paladin who is one of my top 5 favorites. I would like to do a decent cowboy hero but I’ll have to be in the right mood to do it.

CantDraw
    Participant

States Contest #2 for my neighboring state of Louisiana, the Pelican State:

CantDraw-ThePelican-Louisiana.png

BIO:

The peak of human conditioning, The Pelican, has been active since the 1950s but amazingly hasn’t aged a day. Along with super strength and intelligence, he has a healing factor that can affect others through the application of his blood. It is rumored that he is the next step in human evolution.

I completely stole this look from different versions of Alex Ross’ Shazam. Being a big fan of his, I’m considering doing more in this style, but we’ll see.

CantDraw
    Participant

Song Contest – Female Elvis Impersonator:

CantDraw-ElvisImpersonator-1.png

I went with the classic Elvis hip-shaking pose. This was definitely a lot of fun to create.

Anarchangel
    Participant

Loving that pose :)

Vampyrist
    Participant

I agree with anarch, that pose is wonderful, as is the shading on the shoes.

CantDraw
    Participant

Thank you! The pose was actually one of the easier ones I’ve done since the only positioning I had to do was the legs. I’m glad you like the shading, I went back and forth on whether it was too reflective. I’m most proud of the jacket since it took 4 or 5 of them pieced together to get the right look. I wanted a single-button jacket that opened up a bit and made it look like she was a- shakin’-and-a-groovin’.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 660 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.