With the new forums back up and zippier than ever thanks to the Ben the Badass, we’re having a debate about whether they should go full width or remain in the current two-column setup. I’ve kept the side bar because I thought it would be handy to have the list of current contests, recent posts, and common links. But as Ben points out, most forums are full width — if you’re in the forums, you probably aren’t super concerned with the bloggy stuff.
So I figured I’d keep with longstanding HeroMachine traditions and ask — Which do you prefer?
Regarding the long down time for the forums, I’m sorry for the extended delay. Ben the Awesome Tech Guy and I both work for the same company for our regular jobs and we’ve had a major project that’s due to launch today. That’s taken up all our time, but I’m hopeful that maybe this weekend we can turn our attention back to the forum issue.
We’ve found a replacement for SimplePress (the current blog software) that we hope will put less of a load on the server. We’ve run one sample import and it looked good but we haven’t had time to really dive into it to make sure, since data integrity and the preservation of peoples’ character images is the most important thing.
Thanks for your patience, I know it’s super frustrating.
UPDATE: I just installed a fix that’s working in Chrome, but I don’t have IE. Can someone who does please go to the HM3 app, hold down CTRL-F5 to force it to refresh with the latest version of the app, and try exporting again, please? Thank you!
UPDATE 2: I have confirmation from djuby (who originally reported the problem) that IE is fixed now as well. Woot!
I’ve gotten a couple of reports that Internet Explorer is no longer allowing you to export images from HM3 as of last night. Reports are from both IE9 and IE11. In testing, Chrome worked this morning with Chrome Version 34.0.1847.131 but a few moments later after I “upgraded” to Chrome Version 34.0.1847.137 it was broken.
So something major changed for it to affect two different browsers from both Google and Microsoft. I don’t know what, I haven’t changed anything in the code base.
Once again you’ll have to do screen captures till I figure out what they broke THIS time. It’s very frustrating, I apologize.
Posted in HeroMachine 3|Comments Off on HM3: Exporting broken. Again.
The Special Character Design Contest for my friend JJ Baskin, who’s battling a recent brain cancer diagnosis, is over and it was a spectacular success. I posted each entry, one per day, to his Facebook feed and he’s really enjoyed seeing them. His sons are huge super-hero fans and getting to see their dad all decked out has helped lift all their spirits during this tough round of radiation treatment. A sincere, deep thanks to all of you who took the time to enter, each of you made a genuine difference.
Here are all the entries for your enjoyment:
I (and JJ! and his sons!) enjoyed all of these very much. But as this is a contest and there can be only one winner, and because I am a ruthless autocrat unlike the kind-hearted “mob rules” other moderators with their polls, I am going to choose the one JJ had the highest praise for. And that one is by Lime!
No slight is meant to the other awesome entrants, but JJ’s boys are actually studying Andy Warhol in school right now so in addition to being a kick-butt illustration, it was also very timely.
Lime, you’ve won your choice of:
A custom color illustration by me of any one character you like (a $50 value!);
A caricature of you to join the others in the Heads-Winners set; or
Any one item you like to be included in HeroMachine 3.
Please contact me either in the comments to this post, or via email, to claim your prize.
So far this morning you’ve gotten a new site install that’s super zippy AND that lets you log in thanks to Ben. I handed over a new version of HeroMachine 3 that once again allows exporting from Chrome. Which are both cool things but they’re not really new, they just fix things that were more or less broken. It’s like waking up Christmas morning and getting your old bike with a new coat of paint and the horn fixed.
So to complete the trifecta with a brand spanking new present, I’ve added a compass rose to the Insignia-Tech set for use in making maps or for a navigational-themed character. Or flag, tattoo, very odd Companion, whatever your fancy suggests. Enjoy!
I’ve thought I had the bug fixed in the past where you couldn’t export an image out of Chrome, but this time I think I’ve actually done it. I’ve tested in both computers I have available here (sadly, both are Macs, so if you are running Chrome on Windows please give it a shot and let me know how it works for you) and it exports the image successfully, and then returns the character to the proper spot instead of 30 pixels off to the left.
Please let me know any issues you run into and thank you very much for your patience.